I was 24 when I first stepped into the world of facial aesthetics. When working as a foundation dentist, my principal practiced facial aesthetics alongside dentistry and I asked for lip fillers. To be honest, I didn’t know what to expect or the process, but I did know I wanted to build my upper lip which was disproportionate to my lower. So I went for 0.5ml, and haven’t looked back since.
This post is for you if you’ve been thinking about lip enhancement for a while but don’t really know where to start, or if there are things holding you back.
Where do I start?
The first thing to consider is what you would like to achieve. Nowadays there are so many different methods, products and styles to lip enhancement. However one size doesn’t fit all. So how do you find what’s the best for you.
Finding the right practitioner
This is key, if you find someone who you trust and work’s what you’re aiming for, you’re off to a good start. So how do you find ‘the one’?
Word of mouth
Recommendations is one of the most common reasons people come to Ametrine. (Thank you guys) If someone you know and trust has had a good experience and good results it’s worth a discussion with the clinic. Be open that you’ve received a recommendation because it’s nice to thank people who say nice stuff.
If you’re the first in your social circle to go for lip enhancement, YAY GO YOU! The world wide web can help. A good clinic will be found on google, you should be able to see where they are, what they do and should link with their website. Also look at reviews, these can really help weigh up a clinic.
Instagram / Facebook
Insta is great for so many things, however, the opportunity to edit images or use filters on treatment photographs is relatively easy. Often ‘lots of likes’ doesn’t necessarily reflect on quality care. Look at the style of treatment performed, look and see if the practitioner introduces themselves, what does the clinic look like, what products are used. Once you’ve weighed this up sneak a lil dm in to chat about the next step.
At Ametrine all of our initial consultations take place digitally. This is so it’s easier for our clients to make their appointment re childcare, uni or work commitments. Also I’ve found that you are forced to look at yourself on video much more that you’d opt to do with a mirror placed in front of you.
Our consultations discuss you, your medical history, worries and desires for treatment. I’ll also probably show you Bucky and Bam Bam my two dogs who like to get involved.
Let’s talk about you
This is a little awkward to talk about the first time of meeting someone, albeit digitally. But it’s important to understand why you’ve got to this point in your journey towards lip enhancement. It’s key to talk about how the treatment will make you feel. We’re in the business of self love, and that’s what we want to promote with any treatment we do. It’s so important not to take away from your own natural beauty, just enhance it.
Be open and honest with your practitioner, discuss with them what you do want to achieve at the end of treatment, how you want to feel and what you want things to look like. A good practitioner will listen and give appropriate options and advice.
How much volume?
This is the million dollar question isn’t it? And, as mentioned before this is not a one size fits all answer. Treatment for lips at Ametrine ranges from 0.5ml to 0.7ml to 1ml. How much to have entirely depends on a few things:
- Your current lip shape: Some lip shapes fill better than others. An ‘M’ shaped lip which lacks volume under the cupid’s bow will take more product to fill than others.
- Your current lip volume: If you lack projection (what your lips look like from the side) this may need more product to make the projection ideal.
- Your desired goal for treatment: Hey! Some people LOVE BIG LIPS! And that’s ok! Others want a small amount of hydration to fill in fine lines that are appearing on their lips.
- How often you want lips to be retreated: Typically less filler takes less time to break down, therefore you may LOVE the swell straight after treatment and then you might be back a lot sooner than treatment requiring more filler.
During your consultation you should be guided by your practitioner’s experience as to what’s best for you.
What product to get?
Again, not one size fits all. However at Ametrine we always use premium products:
You might be thinking…. That’s quite a few brands of filler to treat one area. You’d be right. At Ametrine we carefully assess and match the treatment outcome to the best filler for the job. Some products may be more flowable and hydrating, where others may be firmer and provide more projection. Always ask your practitioner about what filler they’re using and why!
How much is it going to be?
During our consultation at Ametrine we discuss through everything (and more) and then send out a treatment plan. The plan will outline everything we discuss, your concern areas and the plan to treat them.
The plan clearly states the pricing associated with treatment.
At Ametrine we price our lip enhancement as follows:
- 0.5ml: £200
- 0.7ml: £220
- 1ml: £240
The pricing is regardless of dental block/ products used.
You’ve done it! You’ve booked the appointment! Well done! New lips incoming! What to do to prepare yourself for the next stage of your journey.
What should I do the week before my appointment?
So more than likely you’re counting down the days to that important appointment. However, there are some things that you should do to help with your treatment.
- Drink loads of water: This will help with hydration and help the practitioner with the best possible results, it will also help with swelling after the treatment.
- Take Arnica tablets: Arnica is a herbal supplement to help with breaking down any bruising after the treatment.
- Eat Fresh pineapple (as long as you’re not allergic): There is an enzyme in pineapple that really helps with swelling and bruising after treatment.
- Avoid taking ibuprofen or aspirin: These medications slightly thin your blood and can make you bruise more.
- Avoid Retinol: If you use retinol products on your skin (unlikely on your lips…) just cease with it for a week, this ensures best possible results with the dermal filler.
In addition to the above, make sure you know where you’re going! The amount of times clients have gotten themselves so stressed because they don’t know what bus to get or where to park, makes them even more stressed before they come to the appointment!
What should I do the day before my lip filler appointment?
HOORAY one more sleep!
- DO NOT GO OUT ON THE LASH: More alcohol = more thin blood = more bruising baby. Avoid alcohol for 24hours before your appointment.
- Water, water, more water: Stay hydrated for the best results (in life)
- Have something nice to eat for tea: Make sure that you eat something good and tasty. The morning of the treatment you may feel nervous and not feel like eating too much.
What should I do the day of my lip filler appointment?
Today’s the dayyyy!
- Give yourself time: Make sure you know how to get to the clinic. Make sure you know the nearest place for parking/ metros/ buses etc. Give yourself at lease 30 min to spare so you can chill out and not be rushing around trying to get to the appointment.
- Have something to eat: Make sure you’ve had something to eat fort breakfast/ lunch. If you’re feeling nervous then you can feel a little low blood sugar during treatment and this can make you feel lightheaded. This can be combatted by something yummy and carby to eat. It’s always a good idea to bring a sugary drink with you to your appointment just as a boost. At Ametrine we always have glucose tablets available if you do feel a little low blood sugary.
- Avoid wearing lots of make-up: As we need to make sure that the lips are cleansed and sanitised so wearing that lovely matte expensive foundation is gonna be wiped right off hunny. So don’t bother. Eyebrows, eyelashes and cheek contour is all good though!
Now you’re ready to go.
Welcome to the world of dermal fillers. We hope you enjoy your stay and come back soon.
It’s finally here. You’ve arrived at the clinic and you’re sat in front of that lush practitioner that you spoke to via consultation.
At Ametrine, we’ll offer you a glass of water and chat about anything other than the treatment you’re going to be having. We understand the you may be feeling nervous, stressed, anxious and tired (from trekking up those stairs).
Once you’re settled in the chair and well hydrated, the discussion you’ve already had with your practitioner will be gone over again. We’ll show you a mirror and ask you ‘What would you like to do today’. With a bit of luck you’ll talk to us about your lips…. and tell us the outcomes that you would like for treatment.
- Volume building
- Correction of asymmetry- anything that’s wonky
- Creation of shape
- Making your lips in more proportion (ratio)
- Projection from a side profile
Talk to your practitioner frankly and honestly. As practitioners we have a ‘typical natural lip’ design in mind, however that. might. not. be. what. you. want. Just tell us. it’s so important.
Once discussion in front of the mirror, we will talk through the plan of how we will treat your lips.
Then we’ll talk anaesthetic.
This should already have been discussed with you, however it’s one of the most important aspects, we think, prior to any treatment, especially lips.
- Numbing Cream: At Ametrine we use EMLA which is a medical grade numbing cream. We apply the first pass for about 10-15 min whilst we potter round getting bits and bobs ready, remove and then apply the second pass. Pros: You are not numb for hours and hours Cons: Occasionally you can feel a small amount of sensation (manageable though)
- Dental Block: Those practitioners who are dentists (Like Dr Elder 😉) or trained in dental anaesthesia can provide this service. The dental anaesthetic is four inside the mouth injections which totally numbs the lip tissue. This option is fantastic if you have had a previous painful experience as it will help to relax you. The numbing lasts for about 2-3 hours. Pros: You can’t feel a thing. Cons: you’re numb and feel wonky for about 2-3 hours afterwards.
Once you’ve decided wha to go for we’ll sort that out for you and get you nice and numb.
Once the numbing’s on the go we’ll go through your consent for treatment. This includes going over:
- Medical history… again.
- Consent for photographs to be taken: We will always take photos for medical records, and we will ask for consent for photos to be shared via social media If you’re not comfortable with this, let us know!
- Discussion of treatment plan: In writing we will jot down the aims of treatment and identification of any concerns. We will then follow this up with you.
- Discussion of risks and benefits: Main Risks of treatment should be discussed with you, although this sounds like A LOT when you’re sat in the chair, it is not full consent if these are not discussed with you. Your practitioner should discuss the following when it comes to lip fillers: Bruising, swelling, bleeding, lumps and bumps, infection, necrosis, occlusion and damage to distant sites following treatment…..let’s digest these…
Once you have weighed p all the information your practitioner has provided you with, they will ask you to sign a consent form. Make sure you feel comfortable and ask any questions you have.
- Before and afters: Photographs for medical records will always be taken, this is to show you the results but also to keep an eye on healing and any complications if they occur.
- Social Media Corner: At Ametrine we have a son vial corner with peak lighting for images to be taken fo socials. We make sure to share these with you prior to sharing them anywhere.
Take a seat in the chair, by now you’ll be feeling much more calm, collected and sheer excitement will be brimming over. You’ll be numb as hell and all we need you to do is…BREATHE.
Honestly, the amount of times that patients hold their breath, it’s crazy.
At Ametrine we’ll get you to relax in the chair, relax your shoulders and take some nice deep breaths in and out. With every breath you will take your body a little lower in the chair.
What your practitioner will do:
- Remove numbing cream
- Clean the area: We use a dermatologically and clinically tested cleaner called clinisept which removes all the remaining bacteria on your lips and the surrounding area.
- Treat the lips: Generally the following rules are applied: 1/ correct any problems with symmetry. 2/ Correct any shape abnormalities 3/ Build volume and shape 4/ tweak. During this stage, there may be some areas of slight tenderness, it is so important that if you need to stop, let your practitioner know by raising your hand.
- Treat any bleeding spots with pressure
- Massage with arnica balm
Then it’s done! Just like that.
We will then sit you up, and hand you the mirror…..
First things you’ll think…..
1/ WOW THEY’RE HUGE
2/ YES! LOOK AT ME
3/ IT’S A BIG CHANGE
4/ LOOK AT ME!!!!!!!!
These are all valid emotions, and we’re here for any of them. Remember it is a big change, and they will be swollen.
….again, to capture this moment.
It’s a phenomenal thing as a practitioner to see how a patient holds them selves after any form of treatment. They hold themselves higher in the chair, chin up and palpable confidence. At Ametrine, it’s these moments that fill our day with joy.
- Don’t touch: Keep bacteria away
- No Make-up 6 hours
- No ibuprofen or alcohol for 24hours: blood thinners make you bruise more
- Take arnica tablets/ arnica balm: Reduction in risk of bruising and swelling
- Eat fresh pineapple: Reduce risk of bruising and swelling
- Use ice packs: but only when the numbing has worn off so you don’t ice burn yourself!
- Paracetamol: If any tenderness or soreness, paracetamol is fine to take as it doesn’t affect the blood thickness.
- Emergency numbers: You should be provided with an emergency aftercare number to contact should you be worried about anything following treatment especially areas of paleness, areas of coolness or extreme pain. At Ametrine this number is provided in your aftercare instructions which are emailed out to you, we ask that if you need to contact us we ask you to call the emergency number, leave a voicemail and follow this up with a message. Following this we will contact you and get you in ASAP for an assessment.
Once we’ve taken payment for your treatment you will be free to go, we will provide you with a pot of homemade arnica balm:
- Bryony’s Homemade Arnica Balm: Shea butter, Soy wax, Coconut oil, Arnica oil, Bergamot Oil, Lavender Oil, Sweet Orange oil.
- Aftercare Instructions: Emailed out to you
- Thank you for choosing your practitioner: Sent as a text message with a link to leave a review. It is so important to us to know you have had a good experience, it is enormously helpful to let other people know how we’ve helped and the experience you’ve had. Check out our reviews here.
- Check up: This is sent 12 days after treatment to make sure you’re well and everything’s settling ok!
- Further Treatment: We don’t send a message to ask for further treatment, however you’ll need to wait at least 4 weeks before you can have any more!
You and your new lips
Then you are free into the world with your lip fillers that you’ve been waiting so long for. Expect the swelling to subside after 48 hours, expect the compliments to flow 30 seconds after treatment.
After my first treatment, I felt so much more comfortable in my own skin and confident in myself, it was wonderful.
We can’t wait for you to feel the same.
If reading this post has prompted you to want treatment from Ametrine, please book an online consultation using the link below. We can’t wait to talk to you!